Federal Government Jobs – Schedule A **On-Site**
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYMENT OPTIONS
(Mainly nationwide On-site positions)
Are you disabled and interested in applying for a federal position?
The Employment Options Team is trained and certified to help qualified SSDI and/or SSI recipients with learning about and applying for federal government positions nationwide.
(States hiring vary depending specific position. Current clients can request more information from their assigned job counselor.)
**We are currently unaware of Work-home-positions with the federal government at this time.
– Schedule A Hiring Initiative –
President Obama has made it a top priority for all federal agencies to hire persons with disabilities. Agencies have been instructed to retain 5% of their jobs for disabled individuals.
Most of these jobs are in communities where there is a strong federal presence including: V.A. hospitals, government agencies, social security offices, regional offices, etc.
The Federal Government is seeking individuals with the following skill sets for various community based positions:
- Administrative support– (setting up meetings, managing calendars, making travel arrangements, handling travel receipts -2 years experience is desirable
- Customer Service Representatives (CSR) – (general customer service and higher level call takers)
- Biology – physical sciences, animals (Center for Disease Control in Atlanta)
- Engineering – (electrical, computer, facilities, and mechanical)
- Human Resources
- Information Technology (IT) support positions – (Help desk experience, MCSE or A+ or degree in computers, programming: cobol, java, web design, (Dallas, Washington, D.C, Pittsburgh are the major hubs)
- Law – JD, paralegal, contract law
- Registered Nursing (RN) – (mostly phone support; needs clinical experience, case management helpful, nutritionist (Albany, New York) and other areas)
– Additional Schedule A Information/Requirements:
– An ability to handle stress is required. Background and credit checks are extensive.
– The federal government especially likes to hire new graduates, but they will consider persons of all ages to fill positions. Workplace experience and a staple job history is required (job hoppers will not be considered). All hires need to be of good character, hard working, and honest.
– Criminal background checks: No recent crimes or arrests. While a felony will not automatically disqualify you from a job, our experience is that unless it is an older offense (more than 10 years) you will not be considered. People with history of violence, sexual abuse, theft, fraud will not be considered regardless of when it occurred.
– Credit history: They will consider someone with credit problems (which we know can be an issue for many persons with disabilities) but they will look negatively on credit card charge backs and overdue student loans. Might consider someone with medical bills or mortgage problems.
*If you are interested in applying for positions with the Federal government through the Ticket to Work program, please complete a Community Prequalify form (Option#2) on our Job Seekers Page.
*** The above job descriptions and listed requirements can often change based on current Employer need and new projects. Your assigned job counselor will provide you with the most up-to-date job information.
If you are a current client of Employment Options and do not know who your assigned job counselor is, please contact Flora at firstname.lastname@example.org to get your assigned counselor.
If you are a new applicant and not our current client, please fill out an application to start the process: Application